Monday, April 1, 2013

I Must Be a Menace

After noticing that the image I had been using for this blog was actually the website logo for a gunshop--my apologies, and thanks, by the way; it's a great picture--I decided I'd make one of my own, though it's surely not as good nor as eye-catching.  So, I started sorting out stuff with which to make a new photo.  DARN! I've got a bunch of stuff.  If someone were to come in and count my rounds, I'd probably be declared a menace to society.  The fact that I have many rounds of many types of ammo surely makes me dangerous.
I've owned guns all my adult life.  There's a .22 in my collection that dates back to the 1930s.  My grandfather bought it from Sears and Roebuck, through the mail for about $14.  With that rifle, my grandfather taught all the boys in the little community of East Chatham, NY to shoot--with them earning NRA marksmanship awards along the way.  Those young men, by the way, all went on to serve their country.  As part of the Greatest Generation, they showed up in all corners of the globe, and thankfully all returned home safely.   
I bought my first gun at 17, or more accurately, my mother bought it for me.  The Gun Control Act of 1968 had come into force by then, and since I was under 18, she had to make the purchase.  That single shot Winchester is now long gone, but it provided me with many great memories and put a pheasant or two on the table.  Many rifles, shotguns, pistols and revolvers have come and gone over the years, but I still have a handful, and a bunch of ammo.  Whenever I found a good deal, I bought some. This means I can do a lot of target shooting with about anything I own and still have plenty to spare.  
As I look over my pile of stuff, I realize how horrid it is for me to have it.  I'm obviously a mentally deranged, dangerous criminal.  My old--long pre-1994--magazines for my semi-auto .22 has caused so much crime; same with my 10 round magazine for a .22 pistol that's even older.  We won't even discuss the magazines for my center fire pistols, those guns that have been carried for thousands of days without ever hurting anyone.  
So, remember, if laws progress the way they are going, at some point in time just by the possession of what I have, I'll be declared a menace.   

1 comment:

  1. Oh, and by the way, your grandfather who taught all those boys to shoot became a Justice of the Peace.

    ReplyDelete