Monday, January 21, 2013

Well, I'm back.

I have not made a post here in quite some time--over three years, actually.  Somewhere along the line, all the good things I had planned to write about got sidetracked or maybe posted in quick facebook posts and all the hopes I had for this went away.
Now, frustrated by the seemingly endless amount of time I've poured into facebook, I've stopped doing anything but catching my messages and have determined to put some writing of substance here.  I've become overwhelmed by the number of things I've felt obligated to put effort into; attempting to compose thoughtful responses to the posts of others, trying to put some order into the chaos of politics in recent weeks.  I may have been successful, I may not have been; but it's been a tremendous amount of effort with possibly no lasting result.
I've also been convicted--not criminally, but spiritually--on an issue that relates to this.  As I've been preparing a series of sermons, one that deals with idolatry has been jabbing at me.  Yes, the preacher has been preaching at himself.  Anything we place--I place--between self and God is an idol.  I was devoting so much mental and emotional energy in the gun control issue that I was letting my personal spiritual life slip.  Yeah, that's right, I was falling into my own form of idolatry.  Bailing our of my daily facebook activities, even for the few days I've been off, has help me much on that.  I need to continue with better disciple.
I also had desire to post far more thoughtful things.  I love the quick quips and snappy comebacks that some facebook treads allow--but they can occupy far too much time.  There is little real thought to it.
So, here we go again.  From this point out, more time will be spent here, more thought, more spiritual content as the battle is not one of politics; but of Godly values versus whim of mankind.  That will be largely the direction this blog will take.
I will also probably copy out and post some of the devotionals I have posted on our church's website (www.bconny.org), and  likely copy and share the wise words of my brother in law, the Rev. Dr. Cary Worthington, when he posts on facebook.  
This is a work in progress, so please be patient with me as I get back into it.  Hopefully, I'll have the discipline to keep it going.


No comments:

Post a Comment