Sunday, May 5, 2013

On Labor

Sometimes, when I get frustrated with all the busyness in life, I have to stop, take stock and remember just why I do what I do. 
First of all, I am busy.  Though I've theoretically been retired for nearly five years, I'm certainly no less busy.  I'm still actively employed in my profession (law enforcement) working two or three days a week for two different agencies--and I love it!  Crazy, right?  Here I am, 60 years old, and I'm still playing what is largely known as a young man's game.  
The writer of the book of Ecclesiates said this about working: Ec 5:18 Then I realized that it is good and proper for a man to eat and drink, and to find satisfaction in his toilsome labor under the sun during the few days of life God has given him-- for this is his lot.  Well, I do find satisfaction in it.  There are moments--even days, when it's frustrating; but when you do a foot patrol in a park and a little girl starts to follow you, pick dandelions and give them to you--what other job gives that kind of reward?  How can I not love the profession that God has given me? 
I started this career about 38 years ago, working my way from a part-time small village patrolman to the position to which I'd always aspired--a New York Environmental Conservation Officer.  After about 27 years of that, I needed a change and retired from the state, but already had a new job when I left--as a part-time deputy sheriff.  That has led to yet another job as a part-time small village patrolman--sort of right back where I started. 
My days as a police officer will come to an end.  I don't see it as coming in the next year or so; but I see that it'll be coming.  However, while I'm able, I'll continue to do it and enjoy it, even when it's frustrating, even when the weather turns warm in March and I'd rather be getting in an early motorcycle ride, or when the striped bass are in and a friend says "I've got the boat in the water, lets go."  Yeah...I still love my job.
Looking at time with eternity in mind, the few days I have on Earth are pretty short.  So glad that I truly have a career that gives me so much satisfaction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment